Konjac Glucomannan Reduce Blood Sugar Levels In Obesity Adolescents

  • Sugeng Mashudi Universitas Muhammadiyah Ponorogo, Indonesia
  • Hayun Manudyaning Susilo Universitas Muhammadiyah Ponorogo, Indonesia
  • Dianita Rifqia Putri Universitas Muhammadiyah Ponorogo, Indonesia
  • T.N.Saifullah S Universitas Gajah Mada Yogyakarta , Indonesia
  • Hariyatmi Hariyatmi Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta, Indonesia
Keywords: Konjac Glucomannan, Obese Teenagers, Blood Glucose, 30 days intervention

Abstract

Given the connection between diabetes prevention and the inhibition of diet-induced glucose and insulin elevations, we looked into the effects of konjac glucomannan to blood glucose. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of konjac glucomannan to blood glucose in obese adolescents. A total of 20 student subjects with no history of diabetes participated in the study. The study used a pre-experimental method with one group pre-posttest design. Research data were collected using a glucometer instrument, observation sheet, and capsules containing glucomannan. General data were analyzed descriptively and specific data were analyzed using the Wilcoxon signed-rank test. The results showed that after 30 days of intervention, the blood glucose levels in the respondents before the intervention were mostly pre-diabetic as many as 12 people (60%) and the remaining 8 people with diabetes (40%). Meanwhile, the blood glucose levels in the respondents after the intervention were normal, the majority were 16 (80%) and the remaining 4 were in the pre-diabetes category (20%). Konjac glucomannan can reduce the value of blood glucose metabolism in obese adolescents. Furthermore, greater inhibitory effects on glucose and insulin elevation were observed in the intervention group than in the control group.

References

Andreadi, A., Bellia, A., Di Daniele, N., Meloni, M., Lauro, R., Della-Morte, D., & Lauro, D. (2022). The molecular link between oxidative stress, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes: A target for new therapies against cardiovascular diseases. Current Opinion in Pharmacology, 62, 85–96.

Behera, S. S., & Ray, R. C. (2016). Konjac glucomannan, a promising polysaccharide of Amorphophallus konjac K. Koch in health care. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 92, 942–956. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2016.07.098

Devaraj, R. D., Reddy, C. K., & Xu, B. (2019). Health-promoting effects of konjac glucomannan and its practical applications: A critical review. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 126, 273–281. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.12.203

Li, X., Jayachandran, M., & Xu, B. (2021). Antidiabetic effect of konjac glucomannan via insulin signaling pathway regulation in high-fat diet and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Food Research International, 149, 110664.

Mashudi, S., Putri, D., Aziz, Y. S., Larasati, S. F., Paramita M, S., & Widodo, S. P. (2022). Effects of konjac glucomannan on blood profile in schizophrenia with hyperglycemia. International Journal of Health Sciences, 6(S1), 714–720. https://doi.org/10.53730/ijhs.v6ns1.4820

Meghatria, F., & Belhamiti, O. (2021). Predictive model for the risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes in obese people. Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, 146, 110834.

Olokoba, A. B., Obateru, O. A., & Olokoba, L. B. (2012). Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a review of current trends. Oman Medical Journal, 27(4), 269–273. https://doi.org/10.5001/omj.2012.68

Ramírez-Alarcón, K., Labraña, A. M., Victoriano, M., Meléndez-Illanes, L., & Martorell, M. (2022). Diabesity: Obesity And Type II Diabetes As A Real Health Problem In Developed Countries. Diabesity: A Multidisciplinary Approach, 1.

Vázquez-Velasco, M., González-Torres, L., Méndez, M. T., Bastida, S., Benedí, J., González-Muñoz, M. J., & Sánchez-Muniz, F. J. (2015). Glucomannan and glucomannan plus spirulina-enriched squid-surimi added to high saturated diet affect glycemia, plasma and adipose leptin and adiponectin levels in growing fa/fa rats. Nutrición Hospitalaria, 32(6), 2718–2724.

Published
2022-11-07
How to Cite
Mashudi, S., Susilo, H. M., Putri, D. R., S, T., & Hariyatmi, H. (2022). Konjac Glucomannan Reduce Blood Sugar Levels In Obesity Adolescents. Proceeding International Conference on Innovation in Science, Education, Health and Technology, 1(1), 189-193. Retrieved from http://pedirresearchinstitute.or.id/index.php/iciseht/article/view/199